The active participation of women and their contribution of expertise in a traditionally male-dominated field has been increasing over the years. While men still dominate the supply chain and logistics, women continue to make inroads and succeed in substantive roles. One key to progress is that companies are setting hiring goals.
The historical lack of women in logistics could be due to misconceptions that career paths were limited or simple stereotypes that the industry only provided ‘jobs for men’. Opening up to gender equality in the workplace, more and more women are finding themselves as a part of the logistics industry.
Here are some tips to advance your career in male-dominated industries:
- Be confident and assertive. Sometimes women are perceived as less confident than men, so it is important for women than men to develop these skills and project a strong, confident image with your coworkers.
- Develop a strong network; this can help you not only by providing valuable advice but also by providing support in hard times. Start building relationships with your colleagues, mentors, or leaders. Something that helps is attending industry events, joining professional organizations, and participating in networking groups.
- Build your skills and expertise. Women may face higher expectations and scrutiny in these fields, so it is important to build a strong foundation of skills and knowledge. Look for opportunities to develop your skills through training, mentorship, and on-the-job experience.
- Embrace your strengths; use your unique perspective and your strengths to your advantage; find ways to add value to your organization.
- Take care of yourself, both mentally and physically. We know sometimes work can be stressful, so take breaks when you feel your energy level draining. Take care of your diet and always sleep enough
- Your opinion matters, and if you do not feel safe or comfortable in a work environment, don’t hesitate to share your concerns with someone.
Women continue to demonstrate their invaluable roles in driving the industry forward and inspiring future generations to pursue careers in logistics. Here at STT Logistics Group, we value the hard work and dedication of all the women that help our company grow.