Do you have a career in logistics and want to be recognized as a leader? Whether you are an independent freight agent or part of a large company, your ability to lead the team can help you achieve your goals.
All leaders have something in common: people follow them. Freight agents managing teams are also leaders because they have employees following them. Leadership in logistics involves being able to monitor all logistics-related activities of a company, encouraging the team to deliver the best results, and constantly develop innovative solutions to optimize the supply chain strategy.
So, what does it mean to be a good logistics leader? Well, first off, you need to know how to motivate people and get them excited about their work. The best leaders can create an environment where everyone feels empowered at work—and they do this by leading by example and setting clear expectations through regular feedback sessions with their employees.
Some skills you should have as a leader:
- See the big picture: You must understand how each stage of the process fits together and how each stage impacts the next.
- Communicate properly: It is essential to maintain an open relationship with all your team, in which you are comfortable enough to express your opinion about the outcome of the operation and suggest improvements.
- Think forward: You need to anticipate what might be coming up next in your supply chain and come up with a solution before it even arises. This requires thorough planning and strategic thinking.
- Be competitive: A leader in logistics should constantly try to implement strategies that have a real impact on a company’s performance and stay ahead of the competition.
- Know your team: discover each employee’s strengths and work on them. Pay attention to your team efforts and commend on their good work!
- Pay attention to detail: Being organized and paying attention to the smallest things in a leader’s daily routine is essential to avoid any problems or complications.
- Have good interpersonal skills: From operational workers to sales executives and directors to suppliers and clients, you’ll need to be able to relate with everyone and connect with them—face-to-face or written.
As a freight broker, you could grow as a leader by communicating effectively, keeping up with current affairs, being opportunistic, focusing on relationships, listening, and embracing technology. At STT Logistics Group, we believe that leadership skills are essential for success in the logistics industry. We are dedicated to encourage a culture of growth and learning, where our freight brokers can thrive and reach their full potential as leaders in the logistics industry.